My Red Dress Moment

There is a fabulous project I have been following called The Traveling Red Dress. It was started back in 2010, but I didn’t hear about it until January of this year. Grab some tissues before clicking on the link above. These stories are amazing, empowering, and heartbreaking. I love this project so much that I wanted to get involved. I decided to find a red dress to donate. I spent one entire day shopping for the red dress. I went to two malls. I didn’t love anything I found so I came home and continued my search online.

All this searching made me want to have my own red dress moment. I wanted to spend a day in a pretty dress being totally girly and feeling beautiful and empowered. So I dragged along my best friends and favorite photographer for a photo shoot. I chose Valentine’s Day. I recently opened up to you all and that was such a freeing and therapeutic experience that I decided to continue in that vein. Of course, there will still be things I write that do not get published, but I am going to use my little platform here as a space to talk about what is real in my life. Mostly I’ll be sharing my recipes and ventures in the culinary industry, but I will also be sharing my life. My hopes, dreams, nightmares, successes and failures.

I chose Valentine’s Day because I am single, unintentionally, and sometimes that is difficult. Especially during all the romantic nonsense people partake in. I have so much to be thankful for in my life, and I have incredible family and friends, but I still have days where I am down in the dumps and feeling sorry for myself.

Valentine’s Day was the start of my new life! I am choosing to stop feeling sorry for myself. I am choosing to move forward with my life. I am embracing what I already have and going after the things I want. I traveled to Italy, for three weeks, by myself, in 2010 as a way to prove to myself that I could be happy on my own and enjoy my own company. I decided to put myself through culinary school because I love to cook and didn’t want to waste another moment of my short life just thinking something would be cool. If I think it would be a neat thing to do I am going to do it.

I want to write a book. So I am going to write a book, and I’ll publish it myself if I have to. I have several ideas for books so now it’s just a matter of putting “pen to paper” and doing all the legwork required for getting a book published. I am going to finally start my own garden. A friend gave me Square Foot Gardening over a year ago. I have read it, but have not yet done anything else with it. Actually, he lent it to me. I guess I should give that back.

I am not fat, but I feel fat. For the first time in my life I am not comfortable in my own skin. I gained 30 pounds two years ago and it has stayed with me because I haven’t done anything to make it leave. I have made the decision a few times in the last two years to shed my extra pounds, but this time I’m doing it…because I’m announcing it publicly so I sort have to now, don’t I? My aunt, uncle and mom started using My Fitness Pal a while ago and I signed up last October. I tracked it for about two weeks and then stopped. So, be my friend¬†on My Fitness Pal and let’s keep each other accountable! I used to exercise 5-7 days a week and I am looking forward to getting back into that habit. This is certainly not going to become a health and fitness blog. No way! I’m sure as I start eating healthier you will see some healthier recipes here, but I will never give up my chocolate or desserts.

I am embracing my singleness, my femininity, my power to be me, my love for myself, and I am choosing to be the fiercest woman I know and to empower other women to love themselves and live their lives to their fullest, regardless of all the crap that gets thrown our way! I know, men need to be empowered too, but I am a woman and therefore feel I can relate better to women. Men, you can have your red dress moment, too!

I found my red dress and bought killer heels to go with it. I got my hair and nails done. I did my makeup. I wore my red dress all day long. I bought myself flowers and chocolates. I spent Valentine’s Day feeling girly and wonderful! I even did my dishes and took out my trash while wearing my red dress. My Valentine’s Day was a good day. The day ended with an unexpected dinner invitation. Was that the power of the red dress or was that power of my ferocity? I’d like to think it was both!

Of course, my red dress needed a red cocktail to go with it. Enjoy one of my favorite drinks while having your own fabulous red dress moment:

Fierce and Fabulous Red Dress
Serves One Fabulous Woman!
3 Ounces Champagne (I definitely chose mine based on the pretty bag it came in!)
1 Ounce Chambord

1. Pour champagne into a pretty champagne glass.
2. Top with Chambord.
3. Enjoy.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

18 Responses to “My Red Dress Moment”

1. Kathy Kunschner
    February 17, 2012 at 4:59 am #

You go girl. I love it and you look beautiful in your red dress. You are amazing.

2. Katrina
    February 17, 2012 at 6:04 am #

You look beautiful!! I love that your nails match your dress and the heels are amazing too!

3. Jennifer Franklin
    February 17, 2012 at 7:41 am #

I LOVE your dress, I LOVE your pictures and I LOVE your writing. Basically, I LOVE YOU!!!

4. February 17, 2012 at 8:57 am #

You are so fierce and fabulous! I had so much fun with you and Jenn. You really worked that dress and I was honored to take your photos! You were so comfortable in that hot dress and heels, having fun, striking poses. It was inspiring. Doing every neat thing comes along, I can’t wait to hear about everything. A book! A garden! How exciting!

5. Nancy Glyer
    February 17, 2012 at 9:31 am #

Beyond proud of the wonder young woman you have been, are, and are becoming. I can hear you laughing in the last photo and that makes me smile. Looking forward to all your adventures. Love you!

6. Paula Campbell
    February 17, 2012 at 10:32 am #

You are amazing and an inspiration and I couldn’t be more proud of the beautiful woman that you are! Loved all the photos, especially the one where you are peering over the book and looking very mischievous. Excited to hear about your next adventure and reading your book. I love you, Madre!

7. February 17, 2012 at 11:12 am #

OMG You are the most adorable person EVER! I love the smile on your face. You are truly amazing! I pinned one of your photos on my Pintrest board as “Person I Admire”

Keep rockin’.

8. Paula Ford
    February 17, 2012 at 1:35 pm #

Sarah, You made me smile today! :)

9. Jennifer
    February 17, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

YAY! This post is awesome! I am so glad that I was able to be a part of the day these photos were taken! I will try to encourage you as much as I can and I will take your adventures as encouragement for myself as well! Love you!

10. Megan
    February 17, 2012 at 7:04 pm #

You made me smile! *hugs*

11. Terry Clark
    February 17, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

I LOVE the red dress moment, and you wear it well! Love the pictures too…you are so beautiful Sarah! Hope to see you soon…

12. Star Mulligan
    February 18, 2012 at 10:40 pm #

Sarah, Love the whole red dress adventure. You look happy. Love the photo where you’re spinning around. Great shots all around. Be well, be happy.

13. February 23, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too follow the red dress movement and have been trying to find a red dress for myself. Have you already sent yours along? It would fit me perfectly

• Daisy
      February 23, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

Yes, I did pass mine along already! I included a note encouraging the recipient to share her story on the Facebook page. Maybe she will send it along to you! I can email her your information if you would like.

14. February 25, 2012 at 1:50 pm #

This is a lovely post, Sarah!! What a cool thing to do, buy a red dress and have a photo shoot on Valentines day!
    Once, when I was very single, on New Years, I blogged my list of resolutions. One of them was to wear more red. :)
    And I LOVE that you won’t give up desserts! Since I’ve been backpacking for 4 months around South America, something I recently (like in the last week) came to realize, is that I want my life to be a constant pursuit of moments of pleasure…hanging out with friends and laughing, learning to do whatever it is I want to know how to do (make jewelry, play guitar, dance ballet), traveling, meeting new people and forming new friendships, dancing in the rain when I feel like it, eating yummy things, volunteering with animals, etc…what else is life for?
    Your post reminds me of that.

15. April 14, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

wow – what a great article. I go on Facebook about twice a year and this is the best blog post I’ve ever seen. So happy for you and your new life that is unfolding!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. My Apartment Balcony Garden | Daisy At Home - June 5, 2012

[...] has been three and a half months since I shared a short list of things I had been wanting to do, and I publicly committed to doing them. It has [...]